Monday, January 14, 2013

Motivate Me

Yesterday I attended my first of a series of Computraining classes. It didn't start off great. I was supposed to be in Monday nights class 'last week' but due to a bout of bronchitis had to reschedule to give myself some recovery time. I was required to complete a 10 mile time trail in the first week of classes so I opted to go to Sundays class. I got to the class as recommended 15 minutes early...8:15 am...which required a Sunday alarm clock (insert sad face). To my surprise, no one was there. The class had been rescheduled to 9:30 so I sat impatient in my car keeping myself busy with Netflix.

When I entered the class I was surrounded by three others who had done the class previously and the very experienced coach. Little intimidated. I was the only cyclist with plain old gym shoes vs clip in's. I had the wrong spoke on my rear wheel. I had no idea how to hook my bike up. The patient kind gentleman beside me was really helpful placing my bike on the trainer and explaining how to attach it. Then the coach walked me through some important bits of info and as we began my confidence increased as did my excitement to ride again. Now my motivation, well it was there but not in full force until....

...My extremely helpful cycling neighbor began to talk to our coach who was on the other side of me. He was talking loud enough for me to hear but was being quite vague at first saying only that he may need to get up and go as required. That after his surgery it was a 10 minute reoccurrence. I had NO clue what he was referring to.

He then turned to me putting out his hand for a friendly shake introducing himself. Then he proceeded to tell me he has prostate cancer. He had surgery sometime in the past few months to remove it but is now having trouble with bladder control and wanted to apologize in advance if I notice him readjusting on his bike.

Then it hit me...here is a grown man talking to a complete stranger about wearing a diaper and using an extra towel on his seat so he can continue to do something he loves as he his battle against cancer remains his backdrop. He will find out if he has won this battle in February. But for now he's moving forward...staying motivated!

In my time trial I gave my all.
It was exhausting and many curse words came out unsensored over the 'long' 33 minutes.
All four others around me rooting for me to stay focused and push harder.

My mental battle on my bike was not hard as my neighbors cancer battle. My hat goes off to him. Talk about motivating. 100%.

Live life people!!! It's here in front of you today!!

DO WHAT YOU LOVE!!!

~Shan Xx

1 comment:

  1. Welling up here. Shit. always good to remember that everyone is fighting some kind of battle.
    xo

    ReplyDelete